Saturday, December 7, 2013

When to Take it to Heart

It's no secret negative comments or actions can get in the way of our progress. Let's face it, no one likes being on the receiving in of negative, hurtful or mean actions. When you embark on any journey, comments tend to come at you from many directions. A compliment is nice, but when you receive a negative comment how do you react?

Do you react by brushing it off your shoulder and never thinking about it again? I emphasis the word never. Never means not thinking about it again in a few days or weeks later. Do you listen to the comment evaluating it's worth and try determine if it is true? Do you take it to heart, let it hurt your feelings, and hibernate for days?

For me, I can honestly say that I tend to do all three of these things depending on the comment. Sometimes I can take a negative comment and truly brush it off. Other times I continuously think about it days, weeks, months later and it can really hinder my progress. Often I evaluate the comment and make necessary changes if it is true.

What I am still perfecting though, is who I actually listen to!
 
We have always be taught to evaluate the source, but do we really do this? Sometimes these negative comments hit us so hard that we forget to consider the source. I know I do this. I will be the first one to tell you I have been completely derailed on my journey by a negative comment. I get so down on myself and spend way too much time considering it's truth.

I have been trying to only consider the critique of those in which I would trade places with or admire.
My fiancĂ©, my coach, my mentors, people who are successful in the fitness industry or in business.

The next time you receive a comment that doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling, consider the source. Ask yourself...
Would I trade places with this individual?
 
If the answer is no, toss the comment out of the window. Don't spend time even considering if it is true or not. I know it is far from easy to use this as an evaluation tool, but let's work together to make this our new habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment