Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Fit Wife- Lindsay DiFazio

My fit wife this week is Lindsay DiFazio.

I instantly fell in love with Lindsay’s story because she was a fit 20-something working hard to create balance in her life. Then I read that she was a bride-to-be, just like me and I was instantly hooked. I am inspired by her because she is a career woman and is determined to create balance in her life.

Meet Lindsay DiFazio…She's sharing today how she creates balance in her busy... healthy... fit life!

Fit at 28 means juggling a lot of great things - business travel, social life and family. So whether its long travel days and bad airport food, weekends of catch-up over wine and margaritas or family events out in the ‘burbs, juggling is always involved.

Here is a little breakdown of how I balance it all and fit in the me-time, to work out and be healthy.

Family and friends and that NYC social life

I find it fortunate that I grew up in the NYC suburbs. But with college friends, home friends and extended family, the pressure to see everyone is heavy.  So what do I do?

·       I plan my day and week.  Nothing crazy, just a quick overview of what’s going to happen with me.  I’m a
firm believer in enjoying food and life, so I do have that wine, that beer, that Italian sausage at the baseball game. But I plan accordingly.  Those are my cheats and nothing else.  I go a little harder in the gym given the week I’ve had or will have.  All in moderation of course.  If I have a few events in one week I prioritize.  Can’t live without the wine at dinner but I’ll hold on some other indulgence the next day. 

·       I use events as mini milestones. I dislike having to look at pictures and see me looking all unhealthy.  Whether its dull skin, a puffy face or some “extra” on the frame, I can tell.  The camera doesn’t lie.  So I’ll use events (weddings, birthdays, get-togethers, whatever) to have an end goal in sight.    It’s like studying for a test.  Now this doesn’t mean I’m binge dieting and working out like a maniac the week before.  It means the days I don’t feel like going to the gym I remind myself I have a mini milestone to hit.

·       Speaking of not so mini milestones…I’m planning a wedding!  Forget wedding season and all my friends getting married, I have the milestones of all milestones to get ready for.  If that is not motivation, I don’t know what is!

·      I use the restaurant scene to my advantage.  I know the friends that will want to try the new vegan/vegetarian restaurants with me.  I even have my fiancée going with me now. Victory.  It’s a great way to play catch up and still have an awesome/healthy meal all in one. 

Lindsay finds food while traveling that keeps her on track!
Work and travel

I’m shocked at how many people struggle to eat healthy while working.  Then again though, I’m not so shocked given how lousy it is to find healthy things in an airport or how discouraging some management can be.  So I did two things. 

·       I created a blog as a way to document my own experiences; healthy travel finds and tips I use to keep me from falling off the deep end. 


·       The second, I started (and I’m still in the process) of creating an airport guide to help others find the exact location of healthy eateries in airports.  You can stay up to date on the launch at my blog Your Fit Trip.

Other ways I stay healthy while being a working machine:

·       Working out is my break time –I do take that break in the evening to get a work out in.  I really do think it makes me a better worker – refocuses the mind. Gets the oxygen flowing back to the brain. Plus, who can sit in a chair for that many hours straight? Torture.

·       I look up the places I’m staying – I have to make sure I know what the hotel will offer me.  If I can, I choose places with a gym so I have the option to use the machines.  If all else fails, I’ll bring my own easy to pack equipment like bands or a good body-weight only video on my iPad.

At the end of the day if there are three things I enjoy about life it is being in my 20s, being fit and having great things to juggle.

Follow Lindsay's journey on her blog at Your Fit Trip or on Instagram @LDfazio!


3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm looking forward to your airport healthy eats guide! I end up packing my own meals when traveling, but sometimes there's not enough time. I've definitely started researching the hotels and cities I stay in more to see what kind of fitness amenities they offer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gabi! Hopefully I can save you some time on your future trips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us.
    Cheat Generator

    ReplyDelete