Monday, June 9, 2014

Fit Wife Kalee


Rebecca Walker PhotographyToday's fit life, fit wife is soon to be wife, Kalee Sorey! She's so sweet, down to earth, and I completely admire her dedication to building her own business. If you know anything about me, you know I obsess over a woman who is also an entrepreneur. (PS- her accent is incredible!)

Kalee is literally days away from saying I DO on June 21st!! She is sharing today how she balances a business, health, fitness, relationships, and planning a wedding! Meet Kalee...

Being 25 and a business owner who's also planning a wedding, I had to learn how to balance it all. I'd love to say that knowing how and where to spend my time came natural to me, but it took a lot of trial-and-error, planning, personal development, and event a few arguments to find my personal balance between work, fitness, and of course time for my family and fiance'.

How I Got Started as an Online Coach

I've always loved learning and applying the most effective ways to be happy and healthy. I never thought of making it into a career. I wasn't super fit, and my friends thought my interest in fitness was a little odd or even an insecurity. In 2011, I earned my degree in Marketing & Finance. I still wasn't fulfilled by either topic. I was panicking - I was 23, living at home, had over $40,000 in student loans and no clue what I wanted to do. I decided to teach high school math because it was something I was good at, had a great schedule, and it allowed me to help people. I wanted to know what I was doing everyday was going to affect someone else reach their dreams. I also decided to start coaching people online with my mom though because I loved it and would help pay back my loans. I had also gotten amazing results from TurboFire and a new diet so people were actually asking me what I was going. Within a few months, I was seeing my clients gain confidence, lose weight, and have amazing transformation stories. It made all of the long hours and effort worth it, and I finally felt I was doing what I was meant to do. Within 9 months of starting, I was making more money coaching than teaching so at the end of the school year, I left teaching. It felt so empowering and ever since, my life has completely changed.

The Potholes & How I Overcame them

Beachbody CoachesWhen you're so focused on your goals, time (and sleep) is precious. I woke up early to work out, listened to personal development in the car, taught 8-3 pm, came home and worked 1-2 hours and then saw Jake for about an hour. After he went home, I would write a blog post. So for about 8 months, I was constantly on the go. Starting in March, my mom and I also earned trips to trainings through the company we coach with, Beachbody. So I also had to learn how to keep in touch with my clients and keep my business' momentum going while we were out of town. The first 3 months of coaching full-time, I know my relationship with Jake suffered, I never saw my family, and I was sleeping 5-6 hours a night. It was so tough, but seeing the business grow and clients get great results kept fueling my excitement. Chalene Johnson says something like "If you're friends aren't into fitness, find new friends!" in TurboFire. I always found that kind of harsh, but as I grew more successful in my business I made new friends with similar interests. My old friends thought I had lost my mind quitting my safe job to be a Beachbody coach, and it really hurt my feelings for a long time that they couldn't see I was happy and successful.

Personal Development helped me find me.

I am a total learning nerd. I love blog tips, social media training, and any kind of personal development. I started reading and listening to audio CDs every day, and it really helped me overcome my fears and being such a people-pleaser. I started seeing my strengths as strengths and how to help others by being a positive, kind influence on them.

Set Goals that match your Priorities

I think to be successful, you have to have goals that align with what's most important to you. Otherwise, you may start working crazy hard on something and when you achieve it, it's not something that makes you happy. I could set the goal to be one of the top ten coaches in the company, but it wouldn't fit my priority of putting my family first. It could also hurt my health because of the stress I would put on myself and the time required. I write my priorities on the top of a piece of paper, and then list 10 goals down for the next year. At first, I'd let the list sit and not revisit it, but now I see when I look at it even weekly, my goals happen faster and keep me focused.

Create a Routine

Having a routine has helped everything in my life. I know when I need to eat, workout, and work. I even break down when I respond to messages, post on Facebook, write a blog post, do a video, or complete my personal development. This helps me feel accomplished everyday, focused on my goals, and keeps me from doing too much and getting burnt out. I didn't figure out how to make a successful routine until going through Chalene's Smart Success program online. It's my absolute favorite training for small business owners whether you are wanting to go to the next level or manage your time better.

2 More KEYS to Keeping Myself Sane

engagement 2Even with my routine set, I would feel like I had to respond immediately if someone messaged me, especially if they were a new client or someone wanting to coach. I felt like if I didn't my business would suffer and even worse- they would think I didn't care. On a lazy night, I'd have a nagging feeling of needing to write a blog post since I wasn't doing anything. Jake has always been my biggest supporter, but he also helps me stay sane. With his help, I learned that is just as important to have time away to enjoy my life - even if it's a lazy night watching Netflix. Therefore, I started setting business hours and turned off ALL notifications on my phone. It was so hard to be disconnected at first, but now I am so glad I took the leap. By having a balanced life, I hope I am setting a good role model for my clients and also the coaches I mentor. I also have undivided time for my family and Jake. It's so nice to not have 100 things going through my mind on a Friday night, and it's been months since I did it and the world hasn't stopped! The other thing I've learned is that while I love setting goals, it's just as important to enjoy the progress and take time to celebrate your progress.

If you have any questions on what I do or my mom and my training series and mentorship program please feel free to email us at thegirls@soreyfitness.com. We'd love to help you see if it's a good fit for you.

Thank you so much Anna for allowing me to share my story!

No comments:

Post a Comment