Friday, March 14, 2014

Let Them Eat Fats

My meals throughout the day include...
A balance of lean protein,
complex carbohydrates, and healthy fats.
 
Most people understand the first two pieces of my balanced meal, but the healthy fats is where I find I get the most questions.
 
In a world where we are raised to think fats are the enemy and shelves are stocked full of fat-free food options, it seems odd that the word would fat make it in to the same sentence describing healthy, balanced meals.
 
It is as simple as saying not all fats are bad, rather the choice and types of fats we consume is what makes all of the difference. Trans fats are our unhealthy fats and generally get blamed for weight gain. Baked goods, fried chicken, and candy bars are just a few examples of foods that contain trans fats.
 
Monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, and omegas play a huge role in our bodies and are consider good, healthy fats. Flax seed, nuts, avocados, fish, and olive oil are just a few examples of healthy fats. Consuming these healthy fats (in moderation) daily can help manage our energy levels, control weight, and improve our mood and mental focus.
 
Try swapping fried chicken dinners with grilled fish
Or
how about trading in your favorite bag of crunchy chips for a hand full of mixed nuts?
 
I love to consume my healthy fats in the form of oils, especially coconut oil. I not only enjoy coconut oil for the energy it gives me, I enjoy the beauty benefits that have come along with consuming it. Healthier skin, nails, and hair have been a result of consuming coconut oil on a daily basis. I enjoy adding coconut oil, Udos 3-6-9 Omega blend oil, or flax seed oil to my meals throughout the day. 
 
I shy away from nut butters because they are too difficult for me to stop eating and I feel that there are processed additives in most nut butters that I don't care to eat daily. Besides, if we are being honest it is really difficult to eat just ONE leveled tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter. When we start eating past the recommended serving size, it quickly defeats the purpose of eating for balance. I know a lot of people love nut butters and add them to their diets as healthy fats. I would encourage you to thoroughly read the label prior to consuming. Check for added sugars, processed ingredients, or even sugar alcohols. Sure nut butters are great as health treats, but I notice a significant difference in how I feel and look when they are removed from my diet and replaced with other options.
 
I add my coconut oil to my food after it has been heated. I simply measure out a tablespoon or two of coconut oil, place it on top of my warm food, and it quickly melts in to my food. You can mix coconut oil or UDO's 3-6-9 Omega blend oils in your favorite protein shakes or oat meal. Flax seed oil makes for a create salad dressing when paired with balsamic vinegar and Mrs. Dash salt-free seasoning. They even have flavored flax seed and omega blend oils for those of you hesitant of adding these beneficial oils to your diet.
 
What healthy fats will you be adding to your meals this week?
 
Don't forget to follow me on Instagram for daily posts :-)
@anna_lavonne

No comments:

Post a Comment