Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Fresh Out of the Oven

I could not wait to get back home from my last competition so I could get in to the kitchen and start on some healthy recipes for you all!! Well... Actually... for my fiance, but I was excited to share them!
Last night's dinner was a healthy take on one of my favorite meals and one of my favorite indulgences...
Meatloaf Cupcakes with Cauliflower Mashed-'tatoes Frosting!!
meatloaf cupcakes, cauliflower mashed potatoes, healthy meatloaf, against all grain, paleo, grain free, gluten free, dairy free, weight loss

Cute, right?!
The recipe for both came from Danielle Walker's newest cookbook, Against All Grain!!! Completely grain free, dairy-free, and gluten free. I made my own ketchup (meatloaf topping) and almond milk (in my cauliflower mash)!!! Recipes are also in the cookbook!

The recipe made 12 meatloaf cupcakes and plenty of Cauliflower Mashed-'tatoes which left me with a few leftovers to send to work with Nick today for lunch!

If you haven't tried Cauliflower Mashed-'tatoes, I suggest you try it out!! They are the perfect substitution for starchy mashed potatoes! You will be surprised how a few simple ingredients can make such a tasty dish. I added rosemary infused olive oil instead of standard extra virgin olive oil. I find the best selection of infused olive oils and balsamic vinegars at the local Farmer's Market. I had to change a couple things from the recipe in the book because I forgot a whole garlic at the grocery store! Recipe for Cauliflower Frosting is below!! Let me know what you think and pick up Danielle's book Against All Grain for other AMAZING recipes!
 
I find my asparagus is best steamed using a steamer rack in a pan of boiling water. I put the asparagus on the steamer rack, put the lid on the pot, and let the water at the bottom of the pain boil creating enough steam to steam my veggies. I steam my asparagus for about 10-15 minutes. Just enough for them to cook slightly, leaving them with a little crunch. I don't like mushy asparagus!!
 
If you have a quick second, I would love it if you subscribed to my blog using the email subscription to the right of this page!!

Mashed Cauliflower (Cauliflower Frosting)
Adapted from Danielle Walker's Recipe in Against All Grain Cookbook
2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
1 Tablespoon Rosemary Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Head of Cauliflower, trimmed in to florets
1/4 cup almond milk, warmed (I made my own from the recipe in Against All Grain)
3 Tablespoons Soy-Free, Dairy-Free Butter Alternative (Found at Sprouts Farmer's Market)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (Recipe in book calls for 1 1/2 teaspoon)
Dash of Cracked Black Pepper (I added more than a dash!)
 
-Put cauliflower in a sauce pan with 1/2 inch of water. Cover and steam about 10 minutes.
-Drain water and put cauliflower in food processor
-mix in olive oil, crushed fresh garlic, almond milk, butter alternative, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth and fluffy.
 
I let the cauliflower frosting cool about 10-15 minutes, put in a quart size Ziploc, and snipped a small hole in the corner. I topped the Meatloaf Cupcakes as if I were frosting a cupcake with a pastry bag. Simple, easy, and my fiance LOVED it!
 
Thank you Danielle for such an amazing book!!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment