Tuesday, May 13, 2014

5 Tips for Starting Out

I feel like so often in the fitness industry we talk about and provide tips for those who have already started on their fitness journey. What about those that are just starting out or those who are heading back to the fit life after a long stretch of time off?

Starting anything for the first time can be scary. Think about the first time you went to get behind the wheel of a car as a teen! Scary, right?! You were embarking on a new journey and the unknown became scary! Look at you now though. Most of us are great drivers and we get behind the wheel without much thought. Now apply that journey to YOUR health and fitness. Of course it is scary at first, but you learn fairly quickly how to make progress. If you are determined enough, you can make great progress within a matter of months.

Ready to start?!?! Here are 5 tips I think are important to follow if you are just starting out or coming back to the health and fitness world after time off.

1.) Find someone reputable to teach you skills to set you up for success! Investing in your goals is my #1 tip to people. Trust me, it doesn't have to be expensive! You should seek to meet and interact with people who are well educated or well versed in the field of health and fitness. Find someone you admire or look up to and start to pick their brain. I personally prefer someone without an ego, someone who is humble and down to earth. It makes it easier to connect and open up to them.

You will find that learning from someone about health and fitness is less expensive than you think. You might even find that it is free!! Yes, free! People that understand health and wellness are usually eager to give to others without expecting anything in return. Passion is what fuels genuine,  reputable people in this industry. Ask for a few tips, advice, or even ask for a few demonstrations in the gym. BUT don't take advantage of their willingness to help you!

2.) Think of something you will enjoy! If you think you will enjoy swimming, yoga, or jogging, try it! Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone! Groupon offers GREAT deals from local fitness studios in your area. Search and see if you can find a yoga class or a spin studio. Consider a community walking group or find a hiking trail near by.

3.) Take progress photos on your first day!!! I know this seems like a very difficult task, but I promise you it will help keep you motivated. Be determined to be better than your "DAY 1" pictures! Watching your body transform is the best way to keep you motivated.

4.) THROW IT OUT!! I am so serious when I tell you, GET. RID. OF. THE. JUNK! There is no need to keep a stash of cookies and candy in your desk at work or a bowl of sweets and treats in the pantry! I promise you, I have been there done that! Pull it out, get rid of it, and commit to change TODAY! It is so disappointing for me when I hear people say, "I just can't throw it out because of XYZ..." I have yet to hear a good enough excuse for "needing" a tub of ice cream in the freezer or a box of cereal. For a lot of us, it isn't not working out that throws us off track, it is out nutrition. Throw out the things that get in the way of your goals. I PROMISE you, you will always be able to go get your favorite sweet treat OUTSIDE of the house. Target and the grocery store are stocked full, they won't be running out of cookies or chips any time soon!

5.) Select 1... repeat after me...1 day a week or month to weigh yourself! Stepping on the scale daily isn't the secret to knowing how much or if you are making progress. So many factors go in to that number on the scale. Water, stress, certain foods, sleep... they can all move that number up or down... it's not just fat that does that, so don't set yourself up to lose motivation! I encourage people to get rid of the scale and break the habit of needing a scale to validate your progress. Pay attention to how your clothes feel, how does your skin look, how do you emotionally feel?!? Those are all factors I pay attention to BEFORE I worry about the number on the scale.

I hope these tips help those starting out, but I also hope this helps those who are stuck in a rut. Believe in what is possible...You really can do anything you set your heart and mind on!

No comments:

Post a Comment