Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Guest Blog: Mel- Fit Wife, Fit Mom

Guest Blogger | Mel Spampinato
Fit Wife, Fit Mom

Today I asked Mel Spampinato to share a guest blog post with you all!

Mel is a foodie, a fit wife, a FIT Mommy, and is in the process of forming her own company @FitFuelOC! FitFuelOC offers healthy, prepared meals to the Orange County (California) area. TOTAL Mom-preneur

I am completely inspired by Mel's determination and drive. 

She is down 45 pounds and just competed at the WBFF LA show in April. Oh, did I mention she has 4 children ranging from age 12 to 1?!? 

I enjoy following Mel's journey because she is real and honest about her life juggling 4 kids, a husband, a new business, and managing a household.... She does it all while keeping health and wellness as a priority for her family! Here is what she has to share with you all today!

Who doesn't know about McDonalds???.... 

Let me start from my 'beginning' as a young Mother, age of 24, I felt the need to give my child this treat of a fast food meal  not realizing the mental connection I was creating. Are these foods really a treat? Why would I associate the term treat with this food? Maybe because it came with a prize!?! 

I think as THE mother of my children it's 100% up to us (my hubby and me) when we choose fast food options although I well know this isn't a healthy balanced meal. With a busy schedule and husband that works some very very long hours, sometimes a drive thru is just my easiest decision.... However :-) I do prepare the majority of our meals and always work to make sure they consist of balance, flavor and freshness. 

I have four children ranging in age from 12 to 1, so we have multiple levels of 'sophisticated palates'. Our preteen son could live on cereal and plain hamburgers. My second and fourth daughters are very similar and my least picky eaters, they love their fruits and veggies. My four year old has good and bad days, asking for chips but will take cucumber slices in a heart beat. 

Learning to have a pantry/refrigerator stocked with easy, healthier snacks is so important. They are growing, using all kinds of physical and mental energy throughout the day which all burns calories. How we refuel their bodies determines how they act basically. It's simple and true for us adults as well. When any of my kids is 'crashing' it's pretty safe to say it's their blood sugar dipping too low (or maybe a nap :-) ). This is when the stocked kitchen becomes a treasure hunt. What to choose and why is something they need guidance on. High sugar snacks will create a spike and increase energy, but leads to another crash. It's best to provide food that sustains energy and keep their tanks running. So on a treasure hunt we go....and we TALK about what they want and why or what we can fix together  

We regularly chop up veggies so they are easy to grab and my older two have a quick fresh snack for school lunches. I encourage my kids to help me cut up their own snacks as well, when they do the prep they are always more likely to eat it. :-)

Today we prepared our version of a very well known breakfast sandwich ;-) ;-) which got the cereal king to have an egg (brain food) :-) .... I decided to break down the nutritional value so he could see it for himself - always an opportunity to educate them, after all they will be adults soon enough making all these decisions without our guidance.

And thus we return to my question - who doesn't know about McDonalds???.... Obviously we do, hence our breakfast :-) ... We are all exposed to unhealthy foods (drive thru or home convenience items). But if we don't prepare and plan ahead those 'easier decisions' seem to become more of the standard as opposed to an exception. 

It's a personal choice how we educate our kids but primarily we lead by example! How do I do it many ask... That's how! It's like the old saying 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander' and my little geese follow this Momma Goose on our fit, healthy lifestyle journey!

Xo, Mel
Instagram: @MelsFitLife

Want more?!
I would love your feedback! I love bringing in guest bloggers to help my readers! If you have a question or suggestion for another topic, please comment below or contact me!

No comments:

Post a Comment