Monday, May 12, 2014

Fuel Your Better

Hello there!!
I have to tell you I am so incredibly amazed by how many people are so supportive of me on my journey! :) Everyone is so sweet and supportive on social media! I love it! I just wanted to quickly say THANK YOU!

Just recently, I was given the opportunity as a Sweat Pink Ambassador to review Vega Sport products! I tried the Vega Sport Performance Protein and the Sport Bar!! I am excited to share with you my review, but I am really excited that this review came at a time when my mission is definitely to fuel my own better!


First, I am always an advocate for whole, real foods whenever possible. Too often I see people consider a bar or protein shake as way to replace 3 or 4 meals a day. I never suggest this to any one who asks for my opinion. However, I do understand that life doesn't always allow for a meal made up of several complete sources of food. I too grab a bar or quick protein shake when I am in hurry and failed to prep all of my meals. For those times when life gets the best of us, seek better quality products to fuel your body. I encourage you to read labels, know what is inside the bar or shake you are going to be consuming, and make sure you check the nutritional facts before you chow down. Always take the time to research what fuels you best, but I believe I have stumbled upon some great products to share with you all!

On with my review... 

I was so pleased with the Chocolate Peanut Butter Sport Bar! It is a new flavor and it taste great! Sometimes I find bars are chalky tasting or too dry. This bar is far from that and I particularly enjoyed that it was sweet, but not overwhelming like a lot of bars I have had in the past. The bar has 15 g of complete, plant-sourced protein. Non-GMO, gluten free, and made without artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners. I personally love it and cannot wait to try the other flavors Chocolate Coconut and Chocolate Mint.

My take on the vanilla protein powder was a little bit more trial and error than the bar. At first I tried the Vanilla Performance Protein by itself with water and a tablespoon of UDO's oil. This is how I always enjoy my shakes post workout! Eeeeek! Not so great! The consistency wasn't what I was used to, BUT because of the benefits of the product, I was determined to find a way to enjoy it.

The protein in the Performance Protein is made of a plant-based source of the amino acid, Tryptophan. Honestly, I read that and thought... "Like Thanksgiving Turkey?!"... :) Anywayssss, I continued reading that Tryptophan is a key component of serotonin production... Vega's website describes this as the feel good hormone! Okay, okay...still listening... :) the serotonin in the tryptophan helps with the mental aspect of recovery! OH, I LOVE THAT!!!

So, here is what I did to solve the problem I had earlier... 1.) I used my unsweetened almond milk instead of the water, 2.) a blended it with a few strawberries... done!! :) so much better than my water and UDO's oil combination from the day before. I am going to assume the chocolate and berry flavors might be a little better than the plain vanilla, too.
I enjoy Vega products because they are plant-based and nutrient packed foods. "Our passion for plant-based nutrition is as much about empowering health as it is about supporting the health of our planet."

Have you tried any Vega products yourself before or currently?
I would love to know what some of your other favorites are!!

1 comment:

  1. I've been using the Recovery Accelerator and I love it! It's so easy to mix it with cold water right after my run and it tastes good without any "doctoring."

    ReplyDelete