Friday, May 30, 2014

Save the Peel

Wait...hold it... SAVE THE PEEL! The next time you are enjoying a grapefruit with your breakfast, a lime with your tacos, or a lemon with your water.... SAVE THE PEEL!

Today I am sharing how I make my NON-TOXIC household cleaner using leftover citrus fruit peels. When I learned of this possibility, I thought it would be great to have a non-toxic cleaner in the house. Then I realized I would be saving money and I was set! Don't get me wrong I was excited to use a cleaner on my kitchen counter that was all natural, but I was thrilled when I realized I would be using things I am throwing away to replace my store bought all purpose cleaner!

Let's get started, shall we!? Let me first start by saying this is a two week process!

Enjoy the fleshy part of your citrus fruit as normal. My choice is grapefruit, but any citrus fruit will do.

Save the peels (remove any leftover fruit) and put them in a jar. After, put 3 cups of distilled white vinegar in the jar to submerge the peels. Put the lid on the jar and store for 2 weeks in a cool, dark place. I store mine in my pantry.

You can add citrus peels to the jar for the remainder of the first week.

Fast forward 2 weeks later... pour the citrus-vinegar mixture in to a spray bottle. I found a super cheap bottle at Lowe's. Make sure it allows for a mist spray, not just a stream.

Dilute the citrus mixture with equal parts water.

Final step...grab a rag and clean away.

This cleaner is perfect for counter surfaces, walls, doors, children's toys, and metal fixtures. DO NOT USE ON WOOD! Though I have not tried it, I read that the citrus cleaner will stain the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment